Tilapia Tostados Contest Winner
– by Emily Hobbs
- 3/4 cup canned black beans, drained
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped canned pineapple, drained
- 1/3 cup canned corn, drained
- 3 Tbsp. coarsely chopped, jarred pickled jalapeno peppers
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 1 tsp. salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup salsa verde
- 20 tostada shells
- 2 1/2 tsp. ground chili powder
- 1 lb. Regal Springs tilapia filets, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- To make the pineapple salsa, in a medium bowl, stir together beans, pineapple, corn, jalapeno, scallion, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper until well combined; set aside. To make the salsa verde crema, in a small bowl, stir together sour cream and salsa verde until combined; set aside.
- Take 8 of the tostada shells, break them up, add to a food processor and process until ground; place in a medium bowl, and stir in chili powder, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper until well combined. Dredge the tilapia pieces into tostada mixture to coat completely and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat until hot. Working in two batches, saute tilapia pieces 2-3 minutes per side or until golden brown and cooked through; transfer pieces to paper towels to drain. To assemble tostadas, spoon pineapple salsa onto remaining tostada shells, evenly top with tilapia pieces and a drizzle of salsa verde crema. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.
Makes 4 servings (3 tostadas each).