Tilapia Joes Contest Honorable Mention
– by Veronica Callaghan
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely diced shallots
- 2 lbs. Regal Springs Tilapia, large dice
- 1 Tbsp. chili paste
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 8 oz. can of no salt added tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 4 firm Ciabatta or Kaiser rolls, lightly toasted
- 1 small watermelon
- Heat the olive oil in a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add the shallots and cook until tender but not browned, about 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the tilapia and cook, stirring gently, just until the fish is opaque. Whisk together the chili paste, red wine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce, salt and black pepper; pour mixture over the tilapia. Stir and cook for 2 minutes then reduce heat to low; simmer gently for 5-10 minutes.
- To serve, spoon the tilapia into the toasted rolls, evenly dividing. Serve 1 or 2 watermelon wedges on the side.
Yield: 4 servings.