Lettuce Wraps Contest Finalist
– by Janice Elder
- 4 Regal Springs tilapia filets, 4-6 oz. each
- 2 tsp. Creole or Cajun seasoning
- 1 Tbsp. Canola oil
- 1/2 cup prepared honey Dijon salad dressing
- 2 Tbsp. prepared barbecue sauce
- 8-oz. can pineapple slices packed in juice
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 11-oz. can whole kernel corn, drained
- 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed/drained
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, lightly toasted
- 1/4 cup chopped, fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, as desired
- 16 large chilled Romaine or iceberg lettuce leaves
- Sprinkle both sides of tilapia filets lightly and evenly with Creole or Cajun seasoning. Place a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; add canola oil. When hot, add the tilapia filets and cook for 2 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Remove to a plate; let cool slightly and then flake into bite-size pieces.
- Meanwhile, whisk together dressing, barbecue sauce and 2 tbsp. of the reserved pineapple juice, blending well. Chop drained pineapple; reserve.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flaked tilapia with chopped pineapple, onion, corn, beans, tomato, nuts and parsley with dressing mixture, blending well. Season as desired with salt and pepper.
- To serve, spoon a heaping quarter-cup of the mixture into each lettuce leaf. May be eaten out of hand but have plenty of napkins ready!
Yield: 4 main dish servings of 4 lettuce wraps each.