Buttercrumb TilapiaContest Honorable Mention
– by Blaine Burgess
- 18 oz. Regal Springs tilapia filets (4)
- 4 oz. butter or margarine, melted
- 6-8 oz. Ritz crackers, processed for crumbs
- 2 carrots, julienne
- 1 sweet potato, julienne
- 1/2 onion, julienne
- 1/2 granny smith apple, julienne
- 4 Tbsp. prepared horseradish (to taste)
- 3/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1 lemon juice, fresh (to taste)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 3 oz. dry white wine
- 1/2 cup golden pineapple, small dice
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 Tbsp. raw sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 3 oz. evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup pineapple garnish
- 1 Tbsp. chopped chives, fresh
- 4-6 oz. fresh herb salad, pre-washed, pre-packaged
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees
- For the Tilapia: Trim and pat dry four Regal Springs tilapia filets. Melt 4 oz. butter (or margarine) and set aside to cool slightly. Dip each tilapia filet into the melted butter, shake off excess and place into Ritz crumbs to coat each side of the fish evenly. Place the buttercrumb filets into an ungreased baking sheet (or pan) and refrigerate.
- For the Spiced Carrot and Sweet Potato Crisp: (May be prepared one day in advance) Place the julienned carrots, sweet potatoes, onions and apples in a mixing bowl. Mix together the horseradish, light mayonnaise, lemon juice and vanilla yogurt. Add to the carrot mixture and season to taste with salt and pepper. Place in a lightly greased baking pan, or individual molds, and bake at 375 F for 15 to 18 minutes, or until bubbly. The carrots and sweet potatoes should be al dente. Allow to rest before reheating to plate with tilapia.
- For the Golden Pineapple Teriyaki Glaze: In a saucepan, combine the white wine, golden pineapple and shallots. Reduce by 1/2 and add the raw sugar, honey, teriyaki sauce and balsamic vinegar. Reduce by 3/4 and add the evaporated milk. Continue simmering to desired consistency.
- While the sauce is simmering, bake the tilapia filets at 375 F for 10-12 minutes or until the filets are tender and flakey.
- As the filets are finishing, reheat the carrot sweet potato crisp for 3 minutes and place a portion at the center of each plate.
- Gently place a tilapia filet on each plate, resting on the side of each portion of carrots and sweet potatoes. Arrange small bouquets of the Fresh Herb Salad between the tilapia and the carrot sweet potato crisp.
Yield: 4 servings.