Grilled Whole Tilapia with Lemon Butter and Caper Sauce
1 whole tilapia, cleaned
4 tablespoons olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Grated zest and juice from 1 lemon
½ cup dry white wine, like a Pinot Grigio
2 tablespoons honey
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
¼ cup capers, drained and roughly chopped
¼ cup flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
1. Light your grill. Use a knife to cut slits about an inch apart across the top of the fish. Do not cut super deep into the flesh, just enough to cut through the skin. Let the fish stand at room temperature for 20 minutes; pat dry with paper towels.
2. Brush the fish all over with olive oil and season generously inside and out with salt and pepper.
3. Brush the grate with oil. Grill the fish over moderately high heat, uncovered, until lightly charred and it releases easily from the grate, about 10 minutes. Turn and grill until the flesh is white throughout, about 10 minutes longer. Transfer the fish to a platter and let it rest for 10 minutes. While the fish is resting, make the sauce.
4. Combine the lemon juice, wine, and honey in a small saucepan over medium high heat. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer until reduced by half, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in butter, lemon zest, capers and the parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Drizzle with the lemon and caper butter sauce and serve atop a bed of orzo.